Primary School Sports Premium
Since its introduction in 2013, the Primary Schools Sports Premium has provided primary schools with an important funding allowance that head teachers can spend to improve the quality of physical education and sport for younger children.
This funding was put in place in recognition of the positive impact that physical activity has on a child’s development, with the aim of embedding good physical habits early on and guarding against a future sedentary lifestyle.
A successful plan should be able to demonstrate impact across 5 key indicators of improvement:
- The engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity - the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- The profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- Increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PE and sport
- Broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- Increased participation in competitive sport
Active Lancashire provides direct support to local schools who are engaged in the Primary School Sports Premium, assisting head teachers to define the overall vision of their school’s approach to the programme and progressing to a design for a sustainable customised plan that addresses both formal physical education and play. Our work takes into account the needs of the school, the skills of the teaching staff and very importantly the wide and varied needs of the pupils.
Through engaging with our support offering School's have access to a School Sport Network which includes the Headteachers Alliance and the School Sport Partnership Network. Active Lancashire bring together headteachers, School Games Organisers and other like-minded individuals and organisations from within the educational field to facilitate a network of experts who work together to ensure physical education is at the heart of Primary School education.
We also deliver an annual School Sports Conference for the benefit of teachers, the event is designed to support schools in developing high quality PE, sport and physical activity offers in schools.