Engage in Sport
As one of Sport England’s Active Partnerships we are committed to making sport and physical activity accessible to everyone. We work with a number of cross-sectoral organisations to encourage active lifestyles and remove barriers to participation.
Sport and physical activity has the power to transform personal wellbeing due to it’s positive impact on mental and physical health. Together with health professionals, we strive to reduce the risk of many chronic conditions and improve mental health.
Participation in physical activity has a beneficial social impact as it helps boost confidence levels and build a sense of personal empowerment, which can ultimately improve employability skills and contribute toward a reduction in anti-social behaviour.
Who We Are
Active Lancashire is the strategic lead for Sport and Physical Activity in Lancashire. We connect with like-minded local organisations and individuals to help bring about active lifestyles. Nationally we are one of the many Sport England-led Active Partnerships that drive a sports delivery system across the country.
We believe that sport and physical activity have the power to influence behaviours and develop skills which can have a broader, positive impact on people’s lives.
Our work in leading and facilitating effective partnerships across the county from key influential decision makers, through to community grass roots organisations aims to encourage Lancashire residents to engage in sport and physical activity and lead a happy, more prosperous life.
Our goal is to embed sport and physical activity into all aspects of everyday life.
Working in both peer to peer or multi-disciplinary partnerships, we engage, influence and inspire others to change behaviours, building on the positive impact that increased physical activity can bring to individuals and communities.
Our areas of work include:
• Strategic Support – We can advise on all enquiries related to sport and physical activity initiatives running across Lancashire.
• Programme and Project Management – We lead and facilitate a number of projects and programmes across Lancashire. Find out more about our Projects.
• Partnership Working – We build effective partnerships that aim to change behaviours and build skills to enable physically active lifestyles. Learn more about the partners we work with.
• Peer to Peer Support Working – Through our Challenge Through Sport Initiative (CSI) we work with adults in drug and alcohol recovery encouraging them to partake in regular sport and physical activities to help build confidence and self-esteem. Find out more about the Challenge Through Sport Initiative and how we change lives for the better.
• Representing a Delivery Network for Sport and Physical Activity – We build networks that enable an effective delivery system for Sport and Physical Activity across Lancashire.
• Training and Workforce Development – We deliver and facilitate a number of courses for the sporting workforce to allow for them to train, develop and upskill. Find out more about the opportunities available.
• Advertising Support – We publicise key industry updates from partners as well as job vacancies from within the sector, view the latest news.
• Quality Standards in Sport and Physical Activity – We are an advocate for safety in sport and provide guidance around the welfare of children, young people and adults ensuring information and training opportunities around best practice are available. Find out more about Safeguarding in Sport.
Our work is underpinned by three key areas of focus which also helped shape our strapline:
Engage in Sport -Through our work we facilitate projects which allow for all Lancashire residents from a variety of backgrounds to have access to sport and physical activity.
Improve Health -We create opportunities for people to take responsibility of their own health, achieve their full potential and through being physically active, also enjoy economically active lives.
Inspire Communities -We encourage and support people to develop and sustain more cohesive and inclusive communities.
We have had a number of recent successes such as:
- We recently underwent a QUEST assessment and was scored ‘Very Good’
- Our More Positive Together (MPT) project is the first of its kind connecting sport and physical activity with Housing Associations
- Our Challenge Through Sport Initiative (CSI) project influenced the charity Change Live Grow to embed a physical activity offering into one of their programmes for the first time
- Red Rose finalist in 2017 - Tourism and leisure Business
- BIBA Finalist in 2016 - Leisure Business of the Year