Stoptober is back, and we’re calling on smokers in Blackburn with Darwen, to join the 2.5 million others who have made a quit attempt with the campaign since its first launch. While progress has been made, over 5 million adults in England still smoke, and it remains the biggest behavioural cause of preventable illness and death, contributing to a staggering 64,000 deaths each year.
This year's Stoptober mass quit attempt is as important as ever because quitting smoking remains one of the best things a smoker can do for their health. Research shows that if you quit smoking for 28 days, you're five times more likely to quit for good. The benefits of quitting are numerous: it allows you to start moving better, breathe more easily, and provides extra money to spend on things that matter.
To support residents in Blackburn with Darwen on their journey to quit smoking, we are supporting a series of events throughout October. Events taking place are:
- Thursday, 5th October, 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM, Livesey Family Hub - Training Room
- Thursday, 5th October, from 12:00 noon, Blackburn Market
- Monday, 9th October, 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Hospice event @ Cafe Retreat, Park Lee Rd, BB2 3NY
- Thursday, 12th October, 9:30 AM - 11:00 AM, Darwen Family Hub - Family Room
- Thursday, 19th October, 9:30 - 11:00 AM, Shadsworth Family Hub - Clinic 4
- Thursday, 26th October, 9:30 - 11:00 AM, Little Harwood Family Hub - Small Meeting Room
- Tuesday, 10th October, 1:00 - 2:00 pm, Foraging walk with Pete from Pendle Plant Craft - Meet at Hospice Gardens
Stoptober offers a range of free quitting tools and resources to help you succeed in your quit-smoking journey. These include:
- NHS Quit Smoking app: Download this app to track your progress and receive daily support.
- Facebook Messenger bot: Get instant guidance and motivation via Messenger.
- Stoptober Facebook online communities: Connect with others who are on the same journey.
- Daily emails and SMS: Receive helpful tips and encouragement in your inbox.
- Online Personal Quit Plan tool: Tailor your quitting plan to your needs.
Stoptober also provides information and advice on proven quitting methods, including a range of stop smoking aids. You can find further information on how vaping can help you quit, and expert support from local Stop Smoking Services.
Ready to take the first step towards a healthier, smoke-free life? Join us for Stoptober in Blackburn with Darwen and commit to quitting for the month of October. When you stop smoking, good things start to happen. For more information, search 'Stoptober' or visit the Better Health Quit Smoking Website.
Let's make October the month you transform your life for the better. Together, we can kick the habit and embrace a healthier future.