- Organisation: Burnley FC in the Community
- Contact Email : email@example.com
- Salary: £6.00 to £11.37 per hour plus holiday pay (dependent on age/qualification/experience)
- Closing Date: 23.05.2019
- Contract type: Zero hours contract
- Location: Turf Moor, Harry Potts Way, Burnley, BB10 4BX and various locations
Burnley FC in the Community is the award-winning, official charity of Burnley Football Club with a mission to inspire, support and deliver change within communities across Burnley, Pendle, Rossendale, the Ribble Valley and West Yorkshire. We work with over 70 local, regional and national partners in five key areas: Sport, Education, Health, Social Inclusion and Community Facilities. Day-by-day, the outreach of our work is growing with over 50 programmes and truly exciting things are happening at Burnley FC in the Community with the opening of Whitehough Outdoor Activity Centre, Community Kitchen and our brand-new leisure facility - Leisure Box.
We believe in the immense power of our football club to transform people’s lives for the better. Our highly-skilled, dynamic and passionate team work hard every day to deliver our mission. Come and be part of our story! Burnley FC in the Community’s It’s Your Turf programme offers a package of mentoring and one-to-one (1:1) support which incorporates offending behaviour sessions and education. It includes specific work identified by both the referrer and the young person. In partnership with local agencies such as the Community Safety Unit, Lancashire Social Care, Lancashire Youth Offending Service and Burnley Police teams, interventions are designed to bring an improvement in protective factors and a decrease in risk factors for individual young people engaged in the programme.
The programme aims to prevent young people from entering or helping them exit the Criminal Justice System and ultimately reduce crime and re-offending levels across Burnley and East Lancashire. The Sessional Mentors will be supporting young people who are at risk of offending or who are already involved in of-fending behaviour and will support the young people to engage with positive activities. Full training, induction and regular supervision will be provided. Meetings will be after school, at weekends or during school holidays. Mentors will meet the young people at Turf Moor or at the location of the activities.
The Young Person’s Mentor will be expected to:
- Mentor a young person on a one to one basis.
- Commit to a minimum of 2 to 3 hours per week.
- Regularly meet a young person to encourage engagement in positive community activities.
- Generate new ideas as to how the programme can be developed further, whilst ensuring high quality of delivery.
- Increase confidence and self-esteem of the young person by engaging them in positive activities.
- Support the young person to access one to one sessions to develop their understanding and promote a reduction in offending behaviour, such as Weapons Awareness sessions.
- Record the sessions with the young people on the VIEWS monitoring system as well as any outcomes achieved.
- Liaise with the Youth Crime Reduction Officer and Head of Young Peoples Services to provide updates and discuss further development and support.
- Demonstrate Burnley FC in the Community’s values at all times.
- Promote the Burnley FC in the Community brand and ethos in a professional, strong and positive manner.
- Work alongside other team members to support in other areas of the centre as and when required to promote best practice.
An ideal candidate will have:
- Experience of working with hard to reach young people and an understanding of safeguarding.
- The ability to relate to young people.
- A good listener who can be empathic.
- Proven experience of providing excellent customer experience.
- Excellent communication and organisation skills.
- A friendly, positive ‘can do’ and courteous attitude.
- A passion for the community and making a difference.
Please apply by downloading and completing the job application form which can be found on Burnley FC in the Community website
Burnley FC in the Community no longer accept CV’s. Burnley FC in the Community is committed to safeguarding children and young people and is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Successful applicants will be subject to an Enhanced Criminal Record Check (DBS).
*Please note only candidates selected for interview will be notified*