A new programme to improve the well-being of people with a mental health condition through physical activity. Get involved as a sport provider, a volunteer or to get active yourself.
What is Get Set to Go
Get Set to Go aims to improve the quality of life of anyone experiencing a mental health condition through access to sport and physical activity in their local community. With support from Sport England and the National Lottery, the three year programme seeks to help overcome the barriers people experiencing a mental health condition can face when wanting to take up a sport with the aim of increasing and sustaining independent participation in mainstream sports and physical activity.
Lancashire has been chosen because of it has higher than average numbers of people living with a mental health condition and lower levels of activity
What’s in it for you?
Get Set to Go is an exciting opportunity to work with sports and referral partners to:
- Share in national campaigns to raise the profile and value of physical activity and it’s role in supporting people with a mental health condition
- Work with a well known and respected brand to attract a new audience
- Be involved with an independent evaluation of the benefits of the program
- Access to free mental health awareness training specifically tailored for Sport providers
- Gain trained volunteer peer navigators to support people living with a mental health condition to access sport and physical activity
- Share in resources to provide additional multi-sport taster and activity sessions to encourage participation in sport and physical activity
- Benefit from additional online peer support for people to maintain physical activity through ‘Elefriends’
- Support national activity around the “Mental Health Charter for Sport and Recreation” highlighting the role sport plays in improving and promoting positive conversations around mental health
For more information contact Project Coordinator Helen Wright, 01257 231660, 07837 015143 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Help support people through physical activity
We’re looking for volunteers who understand how physical activity improves our mental and physical wellbeing. You’ll be able to use your own experiences to support people with mental health conditions to also enjoy the benefits of being active.
You’ll need to be able to establish good relationships with people from different backgrounds and have experience of a mental health condition – either personally or from a friend or relative.
We’ll support and train you as one of our volunteer Peer Navigators, which could be the first step of a new career in sport mentoring or peer support.
Want to get involved?
Email or call us today email@example.com or 01257 2316600.